2.27.2013

V-Day 2013

When we were first married, and for a few years after, Chris and I took turns planning Valentine's day, as we did our anniversary. I worked out, for a while, until we had kids. Not that it wasn't important to us anymore, but our priorities shifted a bit. V-Day has never been the top of our priority list by any means, but it fell a little behind the radar once we had more things to think about... like, a child in the NICU, or a child on bilirubin lights at home, to name a couple. In fact, I'm not sure I even remember how we celebrated the holiday for the past three years (Jack's age).

I've always wanted to do some fun things with my kids; cut out hearts or give them something special, but that's also fallen behind the radar. In years past, I said I'd do it when they're older and can appreciate it. This year, I am pregnant. For me, it goes without saying that my motivation has totally gone out the window.

As the day approached, I knew that this year wouldn't be much different than the more recent years past. We'd have a night in, and spend time as a family. I decided to at least make a good dinner - and since steak is all I've been craving, steak is what we had, along with cheddar garlic potatoes and oven-roasted broccoli. It was delish.

Chris brought home some red soda, too, to add a little bit of red to the meal, which the kids appreciated (more so for the sugar, not the color).

I did manage to muster up enough motivation to make cookies; Jack helped me cut them out and we frosted/decorated them after dinner. Chris was a good sport; he doesn't get into that kind of thing. He was happy to hold Zy while Jack and I frosted... and Jack ate the candy (and frosting) that was intended for decorating.

Our finished cookies... Jack's isn't too hard to miss with its loaded-up candy and premature bite. :)
 

Chris kept Zy entertained while we decorated.

It turned out to be a good day, and I was happy to spend the day with the people I love most.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

V-day has become a family holiday for us too and I love it. The cookies are cute and I love Jack's the most. Motivated to make your own cookies and frost them is pretty good in my book. It will get funner as they get older and easier (well, more managable, not easier) and they recognize the holiday.
On a side note, there is a 90 year old lady in our ward who always says, "When they are little, their problems are little" and I try to remember that when I am tired of the oh-so-dependent stage. It truly passes quickly (just doesn't feel that way when you are in the thick of it.)

Love you!
Hol

Anonymous said...

I just read this article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glennon-melton/dont-carpe-diem_b_1206346.html

read. it. now.
Hol

Heather said...

Cute post! I love your boys so much, and miss you all every day!