6.17.2008

My Blonde Walmart Moment

I have been debating whether or not I should post about this; it makes me look like a genius.

I was at Walmart on my break and rushing to get everything before I had to return to work. With only one more thing on my list, I rushed to the salon inside Walmart where my last item, Big Sexy Hair shampoo/conditioner was on the shelf. I quickly grabbed it and headed to the register. 

I was the last in line until it was my turn to check out. Of course, as it always does at Walmart, the line accumulated quickly and I was soon at the front of a string of patient (it is imperative that they were patient) customers. The shampoo was one of the first things on the conveyor belt. As cashier tried bringing it across the scanner, It didn't register. Again, nothing. Again, nothing. The cashier pulled apart the case to try and read the barcode after attempting to pull the tape off. The tape took the barcode with it. I was really in a hurry so I offered, "maybe I should get another one instead - the salon is right there." She was thinking the same thing, so off I went to grab more.

After clutching the package in my arms (they were heavy bottles), I hurtled back toward the register, where the line was growing longer. Not two seconds after I set the bottles down for the cashier, a tall woman, wet with sweat and a bit of a scratchy voice was on my case. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT?! THAT DOESN'T BELONG TO WALMART! WE ARE SEPARATE!" Realizing that her reason for her perspiration was probably due to chasing me, and feeling quite humiliated, I said, "I.... I didn't know." I tried to explain the situation and told her that I had been mistaken. I was trying to get a new one because the scanner wasn't recognizing it. "Well, where is the other one?" she said in an annoyed tone and not seeming to care. Remembering the cashier tearing the package open and putting the bottles into the bag, I said, "In there..." pointing to the bag and feeling even more sheepish than before. She took all of the bottles, laughed at me (I hope more at the situation than at me directly), and then strode back into the salon.

It could have stopped there, but the man next to me then said, "You thought you could buy them here?" Trying to defend myself I said, "Well yeah - it is, after all, inside Walmart. I didn't know." He said nothing else, but his smile and his shaking head said it all.

3 comments:

mead family said...

Duh, I would of thought the same thing. Who knew you couldn't do that?! I can't believe the guy in the line. Some people can be so rude.

Dubb Days said...

I am glad I am not blonde....I would hate to have a moment like that....

amanda said...

you're cute. i just wanted to tell you that i love your blog...i LOVE your pictures and i think you guys are great. i hope you're having fun!! love ya tons...