8.21.2008

You Want Me To Do What?

Today was my first day of English 1010 at good ol' SLCC. 

Whenever I take a class there, it's always a gamble with the teacher I get. So far, it's been good. Though some classes have been really tough, I've never had a teacher do something out of the ordinary. They stick with the curriculum, teach the subject, and it's always turned out fine. This is my 4th semester there, and I guess finally it's my time to question the teaching.

After taking roll and asking everyone's majors, the instructor told us that she didn't want this to be the normal "english in a box" class with the "opinionated" papers that are quotes from everyone else but the students themselves. Her reasoning was that she has read too many papers on what is supposed to be a "student's opinion" but really is just the opposite.

She shut the door, then told us she doesn't teach from the book. I wasn't sure why the door would need to be shut for that, but I didn't think about it. Any teacher can shut the door. At first, I was excited - no book, a different kind of class, a "creative" class (which is how she put it).

Next, she gave us the course work. Over the course of the semester, we would be creating a Business and Marketing plan. We would be responsible for coming up with, in groups, something that could be sold - and everything that goes along with it. Advertising/marketing, financing, potential customers, management capabilities.

If you're thinking what I was thinking at the time, it was: What? Am I in the right class? Is this a business and marketing class? I assure you, it was indeed, "English 1010," disguised as such. She said there would be many opportunities to write - a campaign, a presentation, our work ethic and how everything is supposed to come together. All in all, a business proposal. 

She even gave us a long, three-page list of everything broken down, including questions such as, What is the ownership structure? How much will your product or service cost you? How much will you charge, and how have you determined the price? What is the potential growth in your target market? How will you connect with your potential customers? How will you fund the start up? If you take a loan, then for how much and what will you use the funds for? Will you be hiring employees? If so, how many and when?

How is that English? You got me.

This entire "project" revolved around a certain product that she herself sells. It's a pain reducer she created, and she sells it at Farmer's Market and in a couple of different pharmacies in Salt Lake. One group in the class is to come up with a business proposal for this "Magic Juice" (the real name of the product), and the rest of the groups are on their own. I couldn't help but get the feeling that she wanted to: 
A) either advertise/sell her stuff at school to her students, or B) get some ideas from her students on how to better sell it. But I could be wrong. What do you think?

What it comes down to is this: I need to take an english class. With english/journalism being my major, I don't want to pay for a business and marketing class disguised as something else. How convenient that all of the english classes are closed now. I may just have to pay a visit to the Dean... anonymously, of course. Or someone who will listen to how crazy this woman is. At least I know now why she closed the door.

16 comments:

Dubb Days said...

That really is weird. Some people in your class probably don;t mind because this is just one of their generals--not something they are majoring in so they will just do what the crazy lady says. You should definetly tell the counselor about the whole thing=including the door part. Ask to stay anonomous and be transfered! Let me know how it goes:)

mead family said...

Oh my gosh! You definitely need to tell someone about this because as I was reading about her "magic juice" I totally had the idea that she needed help in how to sell it. I'm sorry but it doesn't sound like an english class to me. Keep us updated on what happens! Good luck:)

Ali said...

She wants your ideas so she can steal them... you're right, she's a looney tune. If you end up taking her class, keep us updated.

Carly said...

That's ridiculous.

Unknown said...

what the crap!? how do these people get jobs! or KEEP them for that matter. Yeah, she is totally using her class for her own personal marketing team...weirdo!! Good luck in your search for a REAL english class! lol

Nick & Danielle said...

No way, I really think they sell that stuff at the pharmacy that Nick works at! If I'm right, I've smelled the stuff and it is terrible!!! Good luck and P.S. I HATE TEACHERS LIKE THAT!

Heather said...

Just another issue- I won't go there.
What a freakin loon!

Jacci said...

how are you doing? I feel like I havent seen or talked to you forever! we should get together some time! talk to you soon!

Ali said...

Ya, so this is my second comment on this post. I just read the news that you want to come see us... HECK YA!!! You're welcome anytime. Our house will be done by Thanksgiving, but will accommodate you anytime... mint on your pillows, the whole bit.

Wendy said...

Yeah, I think it's time to be looking for a new English teacher! Sorry...that SUCKS!

BakerBloggers-Matt & Jenny said...

You had to pay tuition for this? I am so teaching Calculus at SLCC and asking them write papers on pedicures!

MLH said...

Maybe, just maybe she is trying to teach the application of language by trial and error, but within her comfort zone of understanding. To explore the power of the written word to convey, entice and sell. The English language with all it adjectives and nuances - I think you could make this fun... see it through and see what HER summary is at the end of the exercise... maybe you will be surprised... why not consider copyrighting your assignment so she can't use it for her own personal gain... if not, there is always the Dept. Chair option. I will be most interested to see where this road leads - let us know!!!

Laura said...

At the very least this class should double count- right? How strange!

Calli Hayman said...

hey- i am really bored at work and me and em were just discussing that we need another girls night so we came up with a week from tomorrow (thurs Sept 4th) Spaghetti Factory (off 9000 s and redwood) around 7 ish- so we can eat and chill. you should come definitely!! :o)

Andrea Harper said...

Dude, your teacher is trying to disguise herself as being "creative", when really all she is is desperate for an excuse to use her students 'fresh young minds' to revamp her business. What a ho.

Anonymous said...

I took an AWESOME English class at SLCC Sandy. The teacher was Heidi Hart. She is a great teacher. She's tough but really good. I think that you should go talk to your counselor and ask if they can make an exception and let you into a different class. Good Luck...Seriously though, Heidi Hart was one of my favorite profs of all time.

-Caley