9.24.2008

I Loved My Mission

I loved the time I had to eat, breathe and sleep the gospel. Each time I read the Book of Mormon and the Bible gave me a stronger assurance that the Lord lives, that he loves us and that we will return to live with him someday if we follow his commandments. That's another thing I discovered on my mission (when I was truly converted) is that everything is conditional. The blessings come if we are living right. But that doesn't change the fact that the Lord loves us and he is always ready and willing to give us all the blessings he has to offer.

Each companion, missionary, member and mission president had an impact on my life for the better. My mission pushed me to reach towards my greatest potential. I was never so sure of my life, my purpose, my reason for being. When you are unaffected by the media, the world, and obligations other than to teach people, you become something better. And I'd take that something over the media any time.

I bring this up because when I see people from my mission, I think of all of those memories attached... those memories that pull at my heart strings and are such tender memories that I'm almost brought to tears just thinking about them.

Last week, one of my companions got married. She wasn't just a companion. She was the companion. I loved all of my areas, and I couldn't express how I feel to you about each of my companions. But Sister Wilson became my best friend. And everyone knew it, including the members.

There are some companions that you like because you have to, there are those companions that you just work with, go through the motions with, and have some good times with in the process. But then there are some that change your mission. Those that you just want to be around all the time because they are just good people. Amanda was one of those. When we first met each other at a zone conference a few months before we were put together, we both thought, "I want to be her companion." Later, on a certain P-day as we were trying to write home (I emphasize trying because we weren't succeeding much... we just couldn't manage to stop talking), she said something to the effect of, "I just want to be in the same room with you all the time because I don't want to miss anything!" There are too many memories to share... but each of them have had an impact on me.

Amanda always kept me laughing - and some of my best memories are with her as my companion. The best companionships are always the shortest - and I daresay it was a fateful day when we got the call from our district leader telling us we were being split up. I have a perfect recollection of it still. Just a week later when we saw each other unexpectedly at a joint-district meeting, I think we were just a bit over-dramatic as we ran across the room and embraced, crying. I think everyone, including the mission president who was there at the time, thought we were crazy.

About seven months later, we were both scheduled to go home on the same day, which made saying goodbye to the mission a bit easier for both of us. We went through it together, getting about 2 hours of sleep the night before we came home.

She is from Salt Lake, so that made things easier for both of us also. She liked Chris right away and she was a bridesmaid in my wedding. She met her husband now around the time we got home, and she was just married on Friday in the Salt Lake temple.

Thursday night was the wedding dinner.

Dane and Beth Thurston just moved up here, they are members of the Selma ward where Amanda and I served. They are some of my favorite people who took care of us while were were there. They always made us laugh and I will never forget the memories from being in their home. I'm so glad they were able to come!

Me with Dane and Beth
Me and Beth

And the Becks.... my second mission president and wife.
They just returned in July from Fresno.
Oh, how I love these people.
They have definitely changed my life for the better.

The Wedding Day

Amanda and her new husband Jeff, coming out of the temple

Amanda and I after the ceremony

On the steps for pictures

Amanda's adorable nephew Tosin...
I just love this picture.

The Reception
at the Lion House

Me, Amanda and Marie - also one of Amanda's companions.

Four out of about nine bridesmaids...
Malea, Annalee, Marie and I

My family came, and that was fun. Being a companion of Amanda's, I didn't know very many people. There were a couple of people from California that came, only because they live here now.

Me and my sister Heather

Me and my cute niece Cessna

Her handsome brother Lance looking sharp with
a tie on for the first time, held by my dad

The end of the night

The flower girls carrying the train

Fitting the big dress in the jeep

Driving away...
...In their cute decorated jeep.

I'm so happy for them both. I love you Amanda.
I wish you nothing but the best!

11 comments:

Katie M. said...

Man, I loved those kinds of comps. Everyone needs at least ONE throughout the mish.

You look like a gorgeous Autumnal babe.

Ciao
katie

Dubb Days said...

What a sweet post! You look great heiders. Wish we were there:) I love Amandas dress and whats with clean jeep?

Dubb Days said...

Oh and the pics are all cute. Thats a fun one of Lance and Dad:) I hope Lance will share him when we come out!

Carly said...

this post made me all nostalgic and stuff....

Heather said...

Amanda is really a special girl. Thanks so much for meeting her and sharing her with our family. My kids just adore her and I do too. You did get some really cute pictures- love ya!

mead family said...

Hearing about your mission makes me wish I had that time, away from all the noise to just focus on what is important. The gospel. I'm glad you were able to have a companion that you wanted to be with and that you have stayed close to. The wedding looked like fun and the picture of your nephew Lance, oh my gosh, he is adorable!

Jeanette said...

Holy cow...that was the dress I half paid for...that was going to be my dress...weird! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. I miss you.

Beth said...

fun to see those wedding pictures since I couldn't be there. She looks so happy! You two were the best missionaries when you were together! I love you both!

Calli Hayman said...

Ha! No i am not pregnant. . . not for awhile anyways. I have to sister in laws who are :o)

amanda said...

you are far too sweet my dear. :) and you know that the feelings were more than mutual. thank you for being such a good friend to me...no matter what. i'm so glad you were there!!! and thank you for everything. love you lots!!!!

MLH said...

A mission defines your gratitude... by how you lived your discipleship and who you take away with you in your heart. Seems to me it was successful!!! You were a joyful and delightful missionary - you little interrogator you!!!