7.06.2009

Gotta Love It.

When I say "it," I mean the humor old folk have, without knowing it. Those over 50 that cause you to think about what they just said... and then laugh about it.

Case in point: I was at the dollar store yesterday (which, by the way, gets better and better the older I get). In line ahead of me was an older man who seemed to assess me for a moment while the cashier was ringing up his total.

He turned to me and said (paraphrasing), "Now, I appreciate what you're wearing."

I paused for a moment to look at myself. A t-shirt and jeans, flip flops and a ponytail covered by a hat wasn't exactly an outfit to be appreciated... if there ever was one.

He continued. "I was out at the airport the other day, and I could not believe what some of these people were wearing! Now, what you have on is really refreshing."

I thanked him and told him he was nice for saying so.

"I'm just an old man telling the truth," he said. Then, after a few moments, "It's like Rocky said to Adrian, 'you're gonna break a lot of hearts out there.'"

.......Um ......?? That one took me off guard.... all I could do was laugh. And, once I was alone, laugh even harder.

6 comments:

Heather said...

That's Awesome!

Unknown said...

so great! I think old people just have a better way of expressing themselves. Love these posts :D

Jacci said...

that is really funny!!! thanks for sharing! call me soon! I feel like I havent seen you forever.

Andrea Harper said...

Cute! Old people ROCK. And so does the dollar store...

Jeff and Emily said...

He quoted Rocky?? That's the best thing I've ever heard!! Oh man, I'm so excited about that. Straight up hilarity.

Carly said...

that is HYSTERICAL! Oh, and I can't wait for lunch time.