7.28.2009

No Way...

While picking a friend up from the airport on Friday evening, I stood next to two chauffeurs who held up signs for those they were waiting for. I hadn't read the names on the signs, as I was slightly behind them.

I had only been waiting a few minutes when two women arrived at the bottom of the escalator, one of them reading the signs aloud, sort-of matter-of-factly.

Woman no. 1: "Mary Murphy and Nigel Lythgoe... really...?"

Woman no. 2: "Who's that?"

Woman no. 1: "From So You Think You Can Dance.... you know, the show on TV."

The other woman was drawing a blank, but it was at this moment when I really understood what the first woman was saying. 

Me: "Are you serious?" (while checking the signs for proof, and finding Mary and Nigel's names printed out on each one.)

After trying to call a friend and my sister with no luck, I stood with my camera turned on, and waited for their descent down the escalator.

What seemed like 30 minutes was probably about 5, but then they were there... and I did my best to get some good shots, and pretty much failed, miserably.


When they arrived at the bottom, Nigel headed straight for his sign, wasting no time. I barely snapped a shot as he was walking away... and clearly, it was not a very good one.


Mary, on the other hand, came right over to me and the above mentioned woman no. 1, who had stuck around to see them as well. The minute she approached us, I could not believe how much she towered over me. She had to be borderline 6 feet tall, without heels. I think I mentioned this to her (regrettably... as she obviously gets that a lot), but she had that perma smile on her face and was more gracious than I would have imagined. As these two fans doted over her,  she voluntarily said, "Well, let's get a picture, girls!" I was grateful for her surprising kindness. It's something I won't soon forget.


It was Pierce Brosnan I saw last time at the airport... I wonder who will be next?

9 comments:

Ali said...

Awesome!!

You have all the luck lady! You need to spend more time at the airport. My Dad saw David Archuleta in Nauvoo this week... I've never been lucky enough for a celeb run in!

Keersten said...

You always run into the celebs! I think it is so cool that she was friendly. That rocks!

Jenny said...

Awesome picture!!! Maybe she won't annoy us as much now...maybe she'll be our secret favorite judge. I'm glad that she was so nice. Sorry I didn't pick up my phone when you called!!!! DOH!!!!

Dubb Days said...

Us of course, that id who you will be seeing next! Tim wanted me to say Robby, but I figure that we are all pretty famous, right?
I love that she was friends and a lot of people find her annoying, but i have always liked her. I think she does know her stuff and what she is talking about.

Andrea said...

She's HUGE!!! How come you always get to see the famous people at the airport? I never have--not once--in my life seen anyone famous, let alone at the airport!

ChristySteed said...

You lucky girl! That's a cute picture!

JeSs said...

YAY! So cool!

Unknown said...

What the heck! Do you have some sort of sixth celeb sense?? Awesome!

Andrea Harper said...

Why is it that you have such celebrity siting luck? I'm getting the feeling you are really the creepy stalker chick who tracks famous peoples every move.

Mmm Hmm. I'm on to you. TMZ should hire you....

HAHAHAHA, kidding. I'm just jealous. Had NO idea Mary was such a largie. Good for her I say. Good for her.