8.30.2010

She's 50, But You Wouldn't Know It

I'll start by saying this.

If I had a quarter, better yet - a dime - for every random, off-the-cuff statement, question or mere action that has come from this woman...
... I would be a wealthy girl.

Children, throughout life - and in particularly, their adolescence - have difficulty with liking their mothers. Heaven forbid, they are even embarrassed by them at some point (which has, of course, never happened to me). In reality, I think those that have spent a significant amount of time around my mother would agree that we have all been known to duck our heads when with her at one time or another.

Here is someone that isn't afraid (and never has been) to be herself. She's someone who is still willing to make her kids laugh, no matter what it takes (which was a recent pleasure for me). She still gives and gives wherever and however she can, is willing to listen and, if needed, offer a shoulder to cry on. And, though her in-your-face (and loud) personality has out-right shocked people, I am not one to complain. She is one of my favorite people and one of my best friends.

Though I'd never admit it in my teenage years, my mom was the coolest. She was always the favorite of my friends, and I was proud. She pulled the craziest "stunts" (and still does); she was the mom that could hang out us kids and not be out of place.

She is obsessed with water; it is one of her favorite things and involved in much of the above mentioned "stunts." So naturally - my dad, being the genius he is, wanted to throw her a giant surprise (also one of her favorite things) water party for her 50th birthday. The planning began months ago - and we went to work on everything.

The invitations, courtesy of our dear friend Heather Dalquist.

So... with a dunk tank, snow cone machine, a giant slip-n-slide, water kickball - and of course - water balloons ready for the volleyball net, we waited for her to show up surprised. And that she did.


And as relieved as I was that she was actually surprised, the best part of it all could have possibly been observing my dad as he watched with tears in his eyes as she ran out of the car and straight to the dunk tank, Michael Jackson (yet another favorite of hers) blasting on the stereo.


Her cake, courtesy of another dear friend, Lynn Moran.

I'll end with saying this.

It was one heck of a party......and she is one heck of a woman.

8 comments:

the Leightons said...

Great job, Heidi - I so wish I could have been there. Your mom has been my best friend for 40+ years...you're right, she is one heck of a woman! <3

Heather said...

It was a Great party- and she is the Best Mom EVA- as she is from New England.

mead family said...

I LOVE your mom! She is such an awesome, funny, caring lady! She is SO young, I didn't realize it. I loved hangin at your house back in the day...I always knew you guys would be doing something totally fun! Oh how I miss you guys...

The Williamsons said...

That looks like such a fun party. She is such a funny lady and I love how she entertains Hallie when we are over there.

Robyn Reynolds said...

Your mom really is the best. She is always so friendly and funny. Plus she always let us have a lot of people over all the time. I am glad she had such a great party!

Carly said...

Seriously sounds like THE. PERFECT. PARTY. for that woman. Love her.

Orton Gang said...

Thanks Heider for the wonderful post. Great pictures, efen if I'm wet! How else would i be?! Such Sweete and funny things you wrote aboout me. I love you daughta! And thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Orton Gang said...

Oh and thank-you! The party was the best!! DAddyo and you kiddos did such a great job! And all the frineds that assisted!There is no way I could be depressed about turning 50 with all that water and fun!