10.29.2011

Utah State Fair

Ahhh, the State Fair. Nothing like it... literally. We wanted to take Jack to enjoy "people watching" (which is always a top reason to attend), music, rides, and of course - fried food.

When walking toward the entrance, a man asked us if we had tickets. When we informed him that we did not, he handed us two and said he worked at the ticket booth and was leaving for the night. Upon telling him that he was sweet, he told me to call his wife and tell her that. I told him I'd be happy to - and I would have, if he wasn't kidding. Anyone that saves us twenty bucks is a friend of mine.

When we ventured our way into the park, Jack was in awe. He was in his stroller, contained, but I think he was content that way - there was so much to look at that he didn't need to run everywhere. There was enough in a ten-foot radius. Realizing I had forgotten my camera in the car, I was unable to get any good pictures of his face, but it was priceless the way his expressions changed as he watched and pointed at everything.

We made our way toward the animals as a start, and I quickly made a note that on the way back, we MUST pick up one of these bad boys (don't judge me, I'm pregnant. Though I can't say I wouldn't get one anyway):

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjrC9HQxCisJHh7EGZ_N13jNU9GFtZmSeFrupzNYNfiYqYicWEfC0csoKo3Gr9CBQzKdNqanWnaQG9261v6uOeFWI92Y0ln4AvNqAf9_pa6Al-PaSR93mmXTtxcNxa8RyNCcWK3fFVUr1A/s320/bg_bucket_of_fries.jpg

Yep.
They looked even better than this picture, and I was salivating already.

We made our way to the goats, and Jack liked this little fella... until we spent five bucks to get his picture taken with him.

He pretty much fell apart. Poor kid.
Later, when we decided we were ready for our deep fried meal (which included a foot-long corn dog... so good), we headed to get the bucket-o-fries....

Only to find out that they had run out of buckets a few minutes before. I was forced to buy a small four dollar basket of fries (which was about 1/4 or less the size of the bucket, which was only eight dollars), and enjoy what I had...
And, I did. They were magical.

After dinner, Jack took a few runs down the giant slide with Chris, and loved the bounce house - both of which he kept returning to. Chris spent a dollar to see a lady with a snake body... oh, the things you can see at the fair. As for me, I was satisfied with my delicious, yet small, portion of fries.

We ended the night with some deep-fried oreos, which are much better than I imagined they would be. As are all deep-fried things, right?

So - until next year... where the bucket-o-fries will be waiting for me. I will be sure not to delay my visit to pay eight dollars for one thousand times that in calories.

2 comments:

Dubb Days said...

Very cleverly written, Heidi. Deep fried oreos? Seriously? Got in for free? Seriously? Content to sit in his stroller? Seriously?!

Heather said...

Awesome. Jack is Hilarious- you NEVER know what he'll love, and what he'll run from in terror!