12.02.2008

He Will Be Missed

I believe it was last year after April conference that my good friend Katie mentioned she had gone to one of the sessions. 

Knowing that it is sometimes difficult to get tickets to the conference center that aren't stand-by, I asked her, "How are you so special to get tickets?"

To this she replied (very non-chalantly, I might add), "My grandpa spoke." Since that isn't something you leave alone, my next question was of course, "Who's you're grandpa?" Not even looking in my direction, she said, "Elder Wirthlin." Having been taken a little off guard, I asked the silly question of, "Who?" It was then she looked at me and said, "Joseph B. Wirthlin."


After that day, she teased me here and there, offering an invitation to his birthday party or to any gathering he might be at. I never got the chance, but I enjoyed some of the stories she told me about him, having a more intimate relationship with him. It made me wonder what life would be like when you have a grandpa as an apostle? 

Katie is one of the most wonderful, funny, kind-hearted people I know. I think, like her "granddad" (as she called him), the gospel of Jesus Christ has played a role in how wonderful she is. Thanks Katie, for being an example to me, just like he was.

He passed away just last night at the age of 91, being the oldest living apostle today.
Here is just a bit of his last conference talk, which was heart-warming for all who listened.

"The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."

3 comments:

Heather said...

I like your new picture on the front of your blog- very Cute!

Carly said...

Every time another apostle passes away, I can't help but feel a strange sense of relief. Not that I don't want them on earth, obviously, but that they must feel such a lighter burden. Can you imagine???

mead family said...

He was such an amazing man. I will miss hearing him speak at conference.