2.19.2008

Just The Two of Us

As I mentioned in my last blog, and as most of you know, it is just Chris and I together. We've been married for about a year and 4 months, and have no kids. We always love watching the nieces and nephews, and I miss being around them when it's been too long between visits. 

There are times, now and then, when I will want kids, when they are just so cute to be around and we have fun because they are in such good moods that they will go right to me, or cuddle with me and give me kisses. But then there are times, I think we all know what I'm talking about, when the kids are in such a bad mood that it's hard to even get them to stop whining for something they want, or throw a fit every time you touch them.

These multiple personalities that children seem to have are what triggers my emotions on whether or not I want to have children right away. I realize that it takes a while to make a baby,  but once I am pregnant, I'm not sure that 9 months will be enough to prepare me mentally. I know that I would love to have a baby. Chris will make an excellent father and I will be so happy when it does happen. But I am enjoying the time we have had, just the two of us.

Recently, I was pregnant. I felt all of the emotion - the initial shock, warming up to the idea, then getting excited for it... and when we went in to my first doctor's appointment, the heartbeat was nowhere to be found. We scheduled an appointment to get an ultra sound, where we learned that the baby had stopped growing about a month before. And it was the strangest feeling of loss, total heartache, and confusion. For a while, I wondered what I did wrong. I have since learned that it was a blessing in disguise for different reasons, and as much heartache and tears it did cause us, the Lord knew what we needed at the time. I am grateful for those who offered their love and support at that time in my life... it really means a lot to me.

After the miscarriage, I felt so many things. Along with the sadness of the loss, it was a total wake-up call. When Chris and I got pregnant, we weren't even necessarily trying, we just weren't preventing. It came as a shock and we weren't sure what to expect... we tried to get ready, tried to get used to the idea that we were going to be parents, and it was a very humbling experience. When we lost it, I realized maybe we weren't ready. We had a new determination - to save, to get our lives in a position where we could have a baby, and to do what we needed to do in order for the Lord to bless us with another chance. I felt confused, wondering, "what now?" It seemed like my life was kind of falling into place the way it was supposed to. So I wondered if we should still try, wait longer, and wondered just what I was doing with my life and what the next step was.

When deciding to pray about it, both Chris and I were hesitant... neither of us were sure we wanted to keep trying. After much thought about it, we both felt like we should keep trying. But, while I am sure we would love having a baby, I am loving the time we have with just us. I think everything would be different if I had never miscarried, but it definitely gave me a small perspective of what is to come. I do have to say though, I can't deny that small sting of jealousy I get when I see a pregnant woman, or a young couple with a small infant in their arms. What does that mean?

I'm not sure what I'm asking here... advice, maybe? I know time with just us is so important, but I feel like kids are in the plan soon... so what are your thoughts?

9 comments:

Ali said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt post Heidi. All I can say is that when the day arrives, and you are parents, you will both be incredible. You will tap into a divinity within yourself that you weren't fully aware that you possessed. As for Chris, I love watching him interact with Eliza. His eyes light up when he is playing with her and Andrew and I can't help but say what a great dad he'll be. The decision is totally between you two and the Lord. I am so glad you're enjoying your alone time now - it's so precious. Just know that the as much as we love our kids, those prego mommies w/screaming toddlers look at couples like you and Chris with a twinge of envy from time to time!! (like when we read about your romantic valentine's day for TWO!!)

Ali said...

Oh... and regarding the "when is the right time" question - that wasn't left up to us. Eliza is our "happy surprise" child, the 1% birth control chance!! Her entrance was "right on time" but it wasn't our time table. We're so grateful she's here. As for our second, while in Germany, I felt it was time for Eliza to have a sibling. Totally different experiences, but both great.

Sorry for TWO long thoughts from me.

paige said...

One of my friends just did an amazing post on this topic. It was actually about being judged for having lots of kids, not enough, having them too soon or waiting too long. A lot of the comments that were given were, "who cares?" My favorite was one that said "I know that the thing that really matters is that it's a personal decision, between the couple and the Lord, and not anybody else. I guess I just wonder sometimes, do we really give the Lord a chance to take part in that decision?" http://jenandjasper.blogspot.com/2008/02/to-judge-or-not-to-judge.html

It's so true & I think you & Chris are the kind of people that strive to follow the plan the Lord has set out for you. I remember praying to see if it was the right time for us to have kids, almost afraid of the answer! I don't know if I was afraid of a yes or no, but it's just a huge step. You & Chris are already great with kids & love them.

Don't worry about the part of you that gets frustrated & thinks twice about kids because that is me everyday! Polly won't get dressed, makes a mess, throws a fit...etc. It's all worth it & as long as you are doing what you know is right, you'll be prepared.

No matter what advice you get, just do what is best for your family. Don't put it off because you want to go back to school, save money, buy another house, etc. Just common reasons that couples put it off. Don't do it too soon because you feel the pressure that Utah society can sometimes put out there. Enjoy the time you have with the 2 of you. Even the 9 months of being pregnant can be a great time to get away & enjoy preparing for a family together.

The best thing that happened for Lorin & me in our marriage is Polly. She is the one thing we both love more than anything else (not to mention each other, that always helps), she is a common thread that we will always have, and enjoy teaching her & watching her grow up. Kids bring great experiences, ones that you will never want to forget, but I definitely second Ali...the day you don't have a special Valentines Day, Anniversary, etc. or have to get a babysitter...you'll look back on the beginning of your marriage with lots of happy memories. :)

paige said...

P.S. This is what the book says about Jack...
"Popularity: #46
Style: Guys & Dolls, Nicknames, Timeless
Variants: John & Jake
This traditional nickname for John turns the classic upside down. John is the strong, silent type, whereas Jack is a tough but fun loving bloke. It's an irresistible image to parents, who are flocking to Jack as a given name while John slips out of fashion. Leonardo DiCaprio's heartthrob Jack in the film Titanic helped the cause. The #1 name in England & Ireland.

I would have never thought back to Titanic for the reason the name Jack came back so popular. :) We thought about it when we didn't know if Polly was a girl or boy because my dad's name is Jake. However, we I had a cousin use it a little over a year ago (his name is John) and so we have moved on. Visit the graph that I have linked on my post to see where the name Jack falls into popularity.

Heather said...

Wow- lengthy comments when in all reality you can listen to others experiences, but yours will never- I repeat NEVER be like someone else's. I am afraid this is all yours, but what a joy that it is. There is nothing like starting a family. We waited 6 years, but again to each his own. You will know when and you will also be prepared when it happens. I can't explain it, but after all it is what we were created to do.
All my love and best of luck, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers like always :)

Karson and Kami said...

I agree with Heather - everyones situation is so unique and DIFFERENT that no matter what advice you get - the decision and the "knowing" is really up to you and Chris. I think you'll KNOW when your ready. But then I also don't know if anyone ever really feels fully prepared for their first child.

In my situation - I would LOVE to be a mommy and I'm so excited for it. But I also LOVE the time that Karson and I have...the sleeping in..the going out..the trips..the freedom. Those are things that I want to have more of before we bring a baby into this world.

I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. So think about that...pray...and you'll know.

Good luck hun! You know we are here no matter what! :)

Heidi said...

Thank you to everyone that has commented. I have to apologize if it was too much for you to hear... but I figured those who have been reading my blog I feel close enough to that I can share those things. I know it is up to Chris and I and the Lord, and I knew nobody was going to tell me what to do. But it is nice to get some encouragement. So, thank you!

MLH said...

Heidi, parenthood as ageless as time has a rythem of it's own... your own... just keep your heart open and it will all unfold as it is meant to.

Jenny said...

I love you Heidi! I love that you can post your feelings so openly. It's really therapeutic for me to read because I had those same feelings when we miscarried. I'm so happy that you and Chris are so close to Heavenly Father and make sure He is a part of your decisions. You two will be wonderful parents when the day comes. Love you both...BFF's FOREVER!