2.16.2008

My Year To Plan


Chris and I decided when we were first married that we would switch off every year planning our anniversary and Valentine's day, so neither of us had to do it every year. Well, it was my year to plan, and I decided to get a little creative.


I wanted to get a hotel, because I love to. Even though it's just us living together, There are so many distractions that keep us from just being alone, just the two of us. And, our condo is connected to others, and we normally can hear them. Its' not overbearing, but it's just enough to bother you just a little bit. The day will come, I am confident, when we will have our own house where we can be by ourselves. But since that day is nowhere to be seen in the near future, it's nice to take breaks every now and again and get away - even if just for one night at a local hotel.
I reserved a room at the Hampton Inn, and decided to leave clues as to where he should meet me on Friday night (I got the idea from my brother in law, I can't take all of the credit). The first clues I gave him were,
"Comes from a pig, What an
elephant weighs, and Mary and Joseph. Needless to say, he was confused. I had made
up a cheesy poem with more clues in it and put it in his lunch that day. They were, "A ham, a TON of weight, and a house. It took him a little while, but he finally got it.
He met me at 7:00 where I had dinner from Cafe Rio ready on a cute decorated table. I brought some Martinelli's, and some crystal goblets.

Next, I gave him a bag with small things in it. I found some things at Zurchers, the party store, like heart boxers, lotto love cards, and the heart doilies I got for the table. I found some other things at Dan's grocery store, of all places, cheesy stuff like bedroom dice and chocolate body paint. I also rented some movies, and I had reserved a jacuzzi room. I put (more) small, cheesy poems on each one, and let him choose what he wanted to do when he wanted to.

We had a lot of fun, and it was just nice to spend time together with no distractions. I never get tired of hotel rooms - even though almost every time it's my turn to plan, I usually include that in my plans.

5 comments:

BakerBloggers-Matt & Jenny said...

Fun night. Enjoy these times when it's just the two of you. Even planning a hotel night away when you have kids gets tricky. You are so cute with your poems and Cafe Rio dinner!
Jenny

Ali said...

This post made me blush, just a little.

Heather said...

I can tell you some stories- better yet Jeff can and you won't be as fond of Hotels. Then again what you guys were doing might be part of the stories! All kidding aside you really do have to take advantage of these times. Jeff and I had six years of it, and it still felt like it flew by!

Karson and Kami said...

Aww, what a sweet idea! I bet it made Chris super happy! I'm not into the whole hotel thing. In fact, Karson and I forked out $250 for a room at The Alaskan Inn (Where you get your very own cabin for your room). There was a no cancellation policy..so the first time we were supposed to go, we had just moved into our townhouse and LOVED being home so we rescheduled the date and the second time, we just decided we didn't want to go and skipped it all together. Lost our money! haha. I just love my house and I can make it into a "LOVE SUITE" easily! ;)

I'm glad that you guys had a great time!

Robyn Reynolds said...

You are such a good wife. I thought I was awesome to have a surprise gift of shoes and a CTR ring. That sounds so fun!