5.27.2008

Exercise... It's good for you

It's true, and there is no way around it if you want to look better, feel better, and get rid of the fat you put on when inhaling platefuls (yes, plural) of sweets.

Sunday was my brother-in-law's farewell talk (which he did very well on, I might say), and of course, there was the traditional open house at his house afterwards. Before leaving our house for the meeting, we ate lunch after church - and I was full. Of course, I was still full an hour later when I was staring at pork sandwiches, baked beans, pasta salad, and a table full of desserts. Of course, forget the semi-healthy stuff that would be of some nutrition... I was headed for the good stuff. I loaded up on chocolate cake, applesauce chocolate chip cookies, brownie bars of some sort, and some AMAZING homemade gingersnaps. Now, although these delicious bits of fat were spread out over the course of a couple of hours, I don't think I have to say how I felt after eating them. I realized, as I was stuffing my face, that if I keep eating the way I do, it won't be long before it hurts to sit down...

And since I realize that I have totally blown my chances of reaching my New Year's goal of going to the gym about three times a week - I've maybe been three times this year... I wanted to change. And soon.

So, yesterday I headed to the gym. I worked my arms, mostly triceps, and put my booty on a treadmill... and it felt good. Of course, if you're like me, you are having a difficult time just trying to get through the 30 minutes of straight running on a treadmill (I'd much rather prefer running outdoors if I do at all), but boy is it a good feeling after you have a good workout! Now the goal is to continue to exercise... I do feel so much better when I do, and the fact that swimsuit season is almost here, it is another good motivation to look good!

12 comments:

Heather said...

Hey don't work out then I won't feel as fat in my swim suit.
No seriously I am starting water aerobics out here at the aquatic center- wish me luck!

Heidi said...

That's way cool, Heather! Great idea!

mead family said...

I have the hardest time sticking to it. I do good for a couple weeks then I slack off. Why is it so hard?? I like the idea of water aerobics. Actually any kind of aerobics and I'm there...that is my favorite. It's also hard to find time to exercise with kids in the picture.

Nick & Danielle said...

Hey Stranger! We need to play when you guys get back from Ohio! Have fun riding all those roller coasters...I'm going to be so jealous!

Karson and Kami said...

Aw, that's sad! (the picture) I know what you mean about exercising. I've been getting into a better routine but I have a home gym at my house so I have everything that I need right here. I HATE to run on a treadmill OR outdoors - yuck! I love my eliptical though and I love to do kickboxing - maybe you should try that - it totally works you out like crazy!!

Dubb Days said...

I do think exercise is important, but if you want to lose weight and inches, 80% belongs to how you eat, not exercise. That is a proven fact, not some crazy Holly thought. So keep exercising because it is good for you, but watching what you eat is going to be the better bet, in my opinion:)

Dubb Days said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have such a hard time eating super healthy, I don't eat crappy or anything but I could not just eat chicken and salad all day... Plus I love sweets... I do work out at least 2 times a week though, now that I work so much, once you start going it's just part of your week, just part of your life..

Paige said...

I will admit that being pregnant I pretty much do not exercise, although I did get pretty sore walking around Wal.Mart for an hour this morning. :) I think for now going up & down the stairs to do laundry & walks around the block are going to have to cut it. After the baby I can get back into my DDR workout. :)

Oh, I eat like crap, too. Family dinners & all the sweets - I just can't stop!

Jenny said...

I hear ya...it's hard going to the gym. I love being outside so I would take running outdoors over running at the gym anyday! Maybe you could go to the gym when SYTYCD is on and that way you'll be so tuned in to the TV you won't notice that you're working out?! If that doesn't work, Shelby always needs a good running partner! :)

Robyn Reynolds said...

That poor woman in the chair. Last I saw you, you looked amazing so I wouldn't worry too much. After I have this baby I am so determined to work out a ton! We'll see how well that goes though.

Ali said...

Gosh, Heidi. I really wish you'd ask me for permission before posting my photo on your blog.

(kidding!) I want to cry when I see overly-obese people featured on talk shows, etc. I love "the biggest loser" that show is so inspiring, but unfortunately, in true Ali form, I'm eating a bowl of ice cream while I'm watching it.