5.05.2008

Job Description: Mom

There are times, when people ask me what I do for work, I am tempted to say, "I am a mother" (of course they know I don't have children). Let me explain.

I am an Administrative Assistant at Axiom Design. While I enjoy my job very much, there are some days - to be specific - the last Friday of every month - that I could do without.

On those designated Fridays, we have what is called Axiom Lunch, for the entire company. It is a small company (17 people or so), thank goodness, but I am in charge of picking a restaurant, passing the menu around to everyone (making sure it actually does move... sometimes people forget about it and it doesn't get anywhere, which pushes lunch behind... it's a chain reaction), getting the list of orders, calling the restaurant and making the lady on the other end irritated with my huge order.

30-45 minutes later, I am at the restaurant, picking up the large order (normally alone). I bring it back to the office, and if the orders aren't numbered (which I ask for - it makes things much easier), I have to spend a good amount of time back at the office in the kitchen sorting the orders out. I set up the kitchen (that BAREY fits 17 people) with chairs, and put everyone's orders together with their napkins and utensils. WHEW!
Lunch could be nice... you'd think that the big hassle is over and I would be able to enjoy my meal with my co-workers. Just when I think it's all over.... then steps in "mom." There are a few picky eaters in the Axiom office. If something is wrong, you will know about it. "I asked for no tomatoes or lettuce." "I asked for BBQ sauce, not Ketchup." "I wanted fries with this."....The list goes on. Then I feel guilty, because even though I asked for it as specified, it comes back to me if it's wrong, as if it was my fault.
As everyone gets up and leaves after lunch, they normally throw away their meal. But I am left with a room full of chairs everywhere, tables with food all over them, and an occasional water spill here and there. The only thing nice left for me is the one or two people that say thank you.
The first time I went through this experience (which it truly is an experience), I left the kitchen with everyone else. It was maybe a couple of hours later when I walked down and realized that the mess was still there, and it was my job to clean it. Since then, I have become accustomed to this.

Last week I was told that we would not be having Axiom Lunch for the month of April. YESSSS!!!

Little did I know that Cinco De Mayo was a reason for my boss to celebrate by having lunch on the company. I quickly kissed my non-axiom-lunch happiness goodbye. However, this time it really was not so bad. We ordered from The Red Iguana, people were not as picky this time, and my friend Roger at work came with me to pick it up. He helped me set everything up, and the restaurant even numbered the orders like I asked! The kitchen wasn't even as messy this time. So, although I still needed to "tidy things up," it wasn't nearly as bad as it normally is.

I could go on about the list of things to do at work that put me in the "mom" category. I do enjoy my job, but let's just say on the last Friday of every month (and apparently the Mexican holidays that my boss likes to celebrate), I'd rather pay for my lunch than have to go through the process!

7 comments:

BakerBloggers-Matt & Jenny said...

For your sake, I hope you never have 17 kids! But when you do have a kid or two, you'll get this "experience" a little more often. The good part is, you can say "eat it anyway" to your kids. Good luck!
Jenny

Jeff and Emily said...

Ok so this is exactly what I do at my job. EXACTLY so I totally feel your pain. Except my company has 75 people, so things can get really crazy. Anyway, that's the life of an administrative assistant:)

mead family said...

They sound exactly like kids, whining and complaining, making messes, but at least you get a couple thank you's. I can't remember the last time I got a thank you from Chloe. I feel for you though, I don't have to clean up after 17 of them. You would think they would be more mature given the fact that they are adults. I will be thinking of you on those Fridays.

Anonymous said...

Crazy! I'm an Admin, too. I plan a monthly lunch for about 25 people. I can give you four fabulous hints: Jason's Deli, Apple Spice Junction, Zupas, and Barbacoa. The first three deliver which is always a relief. Jason's Deli has some unusual items, like MONSTER-sized baked potatoes! The deluxe lunch from Apple Spice keeps everyone snacking all afternoon, which they love. Zupas has wonderful sandwich, soup, and salad, and you can get any combination of two. It's really easy and yummy! Barbacoa doesn't deliver, but it's so fresh and tasty. And they have a great fax form that you can pass around the office. They'll also open a little early so you can pick up your lunch before the crowds get there. You can't go wrong! Good luck!

Heather said...

Welcome to Motherhood!
That is why I am only having 2 children- I can't imagine more than what my two hands can handle. It does suck- but think of it as "life experience". When you actually are a Mom they rarely say Thanks, but you do get all the loves you can handle in return.

Dubb Days said...

At least with kids they are yours so you can discipline them and make them clean up after themselves! I would just say to shoot for half the amount, eight kids so suffice!

Karson and Kami said...

lol I know what you mean. I've had to do this at my old job too! But, luckily, we all took turns doing the ordering and pick-ups and we usually all stayed in the kitchen and cleaned up our own mess. But, I sure hated when it was my turn to pick up the orders!!!