10.20.2008

His Turn

Chris and I decided when we were first married that we would take turns each year planning our anniversary and Valentine's day. That way, no one gets stuck planning every year and we try to surprise each other with fun little "get-aways," always trying to keep it a secret.

This year it was Chris's turn to plan. He planned it early, keeping the secret for about a month. He did a great job. As he led me to believe we were going camping somewhere near Park City, I quickly changed my thoughts as we headed south on I-15. I thought we were going to St. George; I was partly right. As we headed to his Grandma's in St. George, where we stayed on Friday night, he told me we were headed to Las Vegas the next day! 

But on Friday we enjoyed a night out at the Pizza Factory with 
Chris's grandma, Helen. I love this lady.

Some of my favorite phrases from Helen include 
(please insert a strong, southern Utah accent here): 
"Ya dumb wit!" "I oughta smack you." "Ya big pest!" 
"Good grief." "What a big dipstick." 
There are many more. I actually started writing them down, 
but I don't have the list with me. They are just too classic not to share.

Outside the Pizza Factory Friday night
During dinner

The next morning we headed out to Vegas. The weather was absolutely perfect. 70's the whole day, and not even chilly at night, whatsoever. I think October is the perfect time to go.

We walked the strip, spent time in the shops, enjoyed the different hotels and what they had to offer (everything is so elaborate and so detailed, it's amazing), and just hung out. It was fun just walking and being with each other.

From inside the M&M factory

At the fountain in front of the Paris hotel

This picture is of a ceiling inside the Bellagio. 
It was so ornately detailed I had to get a picture.

That night we went to the Venetian. He told me he had a dinner surprise, something special they did for anniversaries. 
(I thought I knew what was coming, I just wasn't sure.)

He said he wanted to get a picture in with the Blue Men statues.

We also found Nicholas Cage, so we stopped by to say hello.

As we walked towards the Blue Man Theater, my thoughts on where we were headed were confirmed. I was so excited! I'd been wanting to see the Blue Man Group for a long time. Little did I know, as we were guided to our seats, they'd be in the center of the front row.

The stage is in back of us in this picture.

They gave us ponchos for being right in the action (which we needed).

They handed this paper out to the audience before the show; you could do whatever you wanted with it. We weren't too original.

Chris actually didn't pay for front row tickets. We were supposed to be sitting somewhere further back, in the middle of the theater. A couple of weeks after purchasing the tickets, he checked his email and there were the front row seats. Of course, he didn't oppose. The show was incredible. The percussion was amazing, and the music phenomenal. 

At the end of the show, they start moving more paper forward, over the heads of everyone in the entire audience. And more. And more... and it all ended up in the front row. I was literally getting pushed over by all the paper - I had to dig myself out a couple of times.

This is after the show (they did inform us, before the show began, that all of the paper used does get recycled, In case all of you environmentalists were worried).

Afterwards, the Blue Men came out to mingle.

This one liked to give all the ladies a kiss...

On both cheeks!

He also kissed my ticket :)

That night, we walked back to our dark and dingy hotel room at Circus Circus. 
(The lamps weren't on in these pictures, but I assure 
you there wasn't much of a difference when they were.)
Not bad for one night (other than the bed being super hard), but forget sleeping in for very long in the morning. 
The walls didn't hold back much. It was clean, though. 
It at least had that going for it.

We had a late breakfast the next morning and then 
started the drive back. It was a quick trip, but worth it. 

We had a blast - thanks for the surprise, honey. You're the best!

11 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah- Circus Circus sucks!
I am so glad you stayed surprised for the most part- The Blue Man Group is AWESOME! I would have loved to have had your seats when I went!
Happy Anniversary!

Unknown said...

how fun! good planning Chris!!

Dubb Days said...

I am glad you guys had fun!! We spent our two year ann in Vegas as well. What a coincudink!! That looks like such a unique show! I am glad you had fun!

Jenny said...

Remember, next time we are going with you! Seperate rooms though...wink, wink. I'm glad you had fun. I wish I could be kissed by a blue man.

Anonymous said...

I bet Chris was pissed you got kissed by another guy. I love VEGAS

Karson and Kami said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! :) Happy Anniversary!

Nick & Danielle said...

Aren't you glad I didn't tell you!!!! Glad you had fun!!

BakerBloggers-Matt & Jenny said...

Wow, you guys go all out for anniversaries! Congratulations!

Beth said...

You two are too cute! Happy Anniversary! I've also had a few sleepless nights at circus, circus. Everytime I stay there I'm surounded by crazy, druck people that stay up all night. I guess it's Vegas what do I expect. Glad you had fun!

Jeanette said...

You've been married for two years??!?!?! Holy cow!! That sounds like a fabulous anniversary. Good Job Chris!!

Paige said...

awesome anniversary weekend! nothing like ours with a 3 week old baby! haha! i love Vegas even though i have only been there once. i would love to go back to see some shows! looks like fun!