1.30.2009

Beauty Amidst The Chaos

For those who have been down town lately, you know the roads aren't exactly great at the moment (around the Joseph Smith Memorial Building especially). It's particularly inconvenient for drivers, who are limited to one-lane roads everywhere they turn as the construction seems never-ending. It will be wonderful when everything is done, but right now it's just not quite the same as it once was with enormous holes, cranes dotting the sky and men with orange vests in every direction you look. They do, however, have windows in the walls of the walkway they've built, allowing you to see the massive project going on (those who have seen this know exactly how big the holes are... they're more like giant craters. It's quite the sight to see, actually).

The other day I had the joyful task of taking a brisk walk (when I say brisk I mean it was below 20 degrees and my feet quickly went numb after stepping outside) up the street to run an errand. My destination was just a few blocks away, but when the weather isn't in my favor, it seems a hundred times longer. The construction was unavoidable, so I rushed as quickly as I could up the street, ready to face the inevitable crowds of those workers and crowded walkways. As I stepped onto the walkway, I took a minute to stop and look in on the work being done. I thought about how much labor is going on for the benefit of our city looking better, and I was suddenly grateful for those willing to do the work it takes to get it that way. I turned away quickly - my feet, and now my hands, reminding me how cold they were.

As I walked on, I went around a small corner. 
This is what I saw.

Right then I was more grateful to see the temple than I have been in a while. I'm not sure what it was, but I didn't seem so cold anymore. I decided to take a picture to capture the moment. As I was walking from my place of work toward my destination, I was constantly aware of my surroundings and how busy everything seems to be all the time. It may not seem so special to anyone else, but I think I need to be reminded from time to time that there is beauty amidst the chaos in this world.

5 comments:

The Jensen's said...

I just thought I would say Thank You for my daily dose of spiritul upliftment from your blog. THANK YOU!

Dubb Days said...

words of wisdom indeed!
Love and miss you!!!

Carly said...

What a great picture...the missionary in me can see a bunch of object lessons coming on! :)

p.s. i definitely consider you to be a great friend. You are fabulous, and I can't wait to live closer so we can play and Chris and Robbie can be friends, too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Yah sometimes we don't remember the most important things in life. We get so caught up at work. It's sad we should remember to LIVE!