3.26.2009

Did I Learn Anything?

I adored my mission presidents while serving in California, and I still talk with them from time to time.  My second mission president's wife, sister Gwen Beck, made an impression on me that I won't soon forget.  I learned so much from her.  Just to give you an idea of what this woman is like, I will share one conversation in particular that I remember the most when she comes to mind.

It was zone conference.  We were sitting at lunch with a guest speaker who had come for that particular meeting.  After several minutes of small talk and such, the conversation went like this:

Sister Beck: "Now, I have a question."
Guest Speaker: "Absolutely."
Sister Beck: (After a few moments of silence, as if in contemplation) "... Nevermind, it's borderline gossip."

I watched as she moved on without hesitation, seeming to forget what was on her mind altogether.  Though it was quite short, that small bit of conversation has been glued to mind ever since.  I try to apply that principle whenever I have something to say that is "borderline gossip." Am I the same, steering away from the conversation altogether, or do I let it stew in my brain, until finally, I ask anyway? Or even worse, ask without hesitation?

My next experience with Sister Beck still haunts (for lack of a better word) me to this day.  President Beck once told us that his wife hates the word "suck."  He assured us that if we ever want to make her angry,  saying "that sucks" in regards to something would do the trick. So, in addition to not gossiping,  I have also tried to limit my use of the word "suck."  It's not as easy as one may think.

Recently, Kelly Clarkson put out a song called "My Life Would Suck Without You."  I can't deny the fact that the song is good.  The beat is awesome and it's a catchy tune.  But, the lyric after which the song is named still gets to me, even after listening to the song repeatedly.  I can't help but wonder what Sister Beck would think about it.  A little strange, I know.  I should have turned it off the first time I heard it.  But, despite my better judgement, I now own the CD.  And I might add that it is her best record yet.
 
Did I learn anything from that incredible woman who has made such an impact in my life? Fortunately, the above mentioned song is the only track on the CD that leaves me questioning.

3 comments:

mead family said...

I admire people like that. I unfortunately say suck all the time. After reading this maybe I will be able to think twice before saying that word and involving myself in gossip.

Paige said...

I agree. I also try not to say "suck," mostly for our kids' sake. I used to say it all the time. That & "pissed off" are things I don't want my kids to say - along with all the other standard "4 letter" words. Anyway, I agree with you on that song. How romantic is it to say "My life would suck without you?" It just rubs me weird...but so does All-American Rejects, "Gives You Hell," & I love that song...oops

Jeanette said...

I don't like that word at all! Everyone says it around us all the time, though. I just try to substitute "stinks" for "sucks." It gets easy the more you do it.