3.16.2009

Joan's 50th

My father-in-law Nephi decided to throw my mother-in-law a surprise 50th birthday bash. My sister-in-law Julie and I agreed to help (never mind that she lives in another state... that's another story in itself). We had about 2 and a half weeks to plan (yikes). With all of us working full time and trying to keep a secret, it actually went rather well. I put an invitation together with a cute picture and a poem.

Birthday number fifty – those who’ve
Reached this number know
It’s only how you feel that counts
And there’s still room to grow

Grow in love for others,
Grow in strength from years,
Grow in faith from knowledge,
Through laughter, strife and tears

This year is a special one
For this woman so blessed,
Please come celebrate with us –
Because she deserves the best!

There was a good turn out, and I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

At least, enjoyed the food. 
We had a couple of chocolate fountains, and I don't think anyone had any complaints.

We chose a combination of flowers for the centerpieces. I think they turned out cute.

We were down to the wire with guests coming about a half hour before she was supposed to show up.... and I was still ironing table cloths. The stress hadn't really settled in up until that point... and I can't say that I remember how it was all pulled together. There was more
going on at that point than I could even keep track.

It was all worth it to see the look on Joan's face when she saw my brother-in-law Aaron and his wife Julie.
Attending Case Western University in Ohio, it's quite difficult to find tickets (at a reasonable price) to come out on such short notice.  After the big surprise from everyone else, he sat down quietly and put his arm around her, much to her disbelief.

After turning around to slug her husband when he led her into a room full of people shouting "surprise!" Joan seemed to enjoy herself.
We hit our target. She was happy. She really does deserve the best. 
I love this woman and I am so happy to be a part of her family.

No comments: