6.03.2009

Attempt

This month I am attempting to read two books. Feel free to read them if you'd like.

1. My Sister's Keeper
Fascinating story - I was captivated from page one (that was for you, Carly). The movie also happens to come out this month.
Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2. The Host 
Having been on my "to read" list long enough and having heard mixed reviews about it, I think I'm ready to jump into another Stephanie Meyer book. And, Jacci let me borrow it... a couple months ago. I hope to finish and return it soon! Thanks again, Jacci. You're the best.
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves-Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

that book sounds interesting! Also - i totally vote for a post about the split-pants-on-a-date scenario!! lol

Keersten said...

Two excellent picks! My Sister's Keeper is one of my favorites! You have great taste!

Robyn Reynolds said...

I haven't read the first book but it sounds really interesting. The second book was good but it took a while to get into it.

Carly said...

I'm going to have to get a library card.....

The Lloyd's said...

i just barely finished reading the host two days ago! ha ha, good book. My sisters keeper made me cry, but i loved it!

Jenny said...

I loved the Host (dare I say) just as much as Twilight! You will have to call me and let me know what you think.

Calli Hayman said...

Hi i just wanted to say that was such a fun girls night the other night! We're for sure doing it more often!!

Andrea Harper said...

Ooooo. Good choices. I liked My Sisters Keeper, didn't love - for reasons I can't say if you haven't finished reading it yet :) Also, I really liked The Host. It did take me like, 200 pages to finally get into it, but I think I was just comparing it to Twilight too much. They are similar, but SO different. SO I may just re-read that knowing what I'm getting into, and love it even more.
Anywho.....talk about books and I don't shut up. Sorry :)

Anonymous said...

I read this week, it was really awesome. I read US Magazine and there were interesting things in there. ;)

Katie said...

Hey..these books sound pretty good!! I can't remember the last time that I finished a book..besides for school!! I should follow after you and read a little more!

mead family said...

Heidi that is so funny! Before reading your blog I went to Walmart and was looking for a book to read. I remembered that my sister mention My Sisters Keeper and that she loved it so now I am reading it too! I guess great minds think alike right?!?

VTS said...

I've heard excellent things about the Jodi Picoult book. I think that I'm going to read that also! thanks for the recommendation.