6.18.2009

Self Discovery

Once, upon walking through the alley behind work, I was "greeted" by two men. One, who I saw first, had a look on his face as if to warn me before I saw what I did next. The man next to him was facing outward, and when he saw me, he smiled a three-toothed grin that I'm not sure was for me... I didn't stick around long enough to know, once I looked down and found his genitals out, his urine landing in a puddle on the asphalt. I think this goes without saying... but that experience left me scarred... I still wish I had those few seconds of my life back.

Yesterday, upon walking to work, this time not in the alley behind the office but rather on a busy street, I made my way past a man turned toward a building, his cart of belongings trailing behind him. Hearing something similar to a water run-off, I looked over to him - only to see his urine spilling down the sidewalk. I barely hopped out of the way before it splashed on my sandal-adorned feet after hitting the pavement.

Normally, when I see strangers like these men, I feel at least a small sting of sadness. These beggars on the street, sleeping in parks, men and women who haven't showered in perhaps weeks or even months, shuffling their carts filled with any belongings they might own... I can't help but wonder: What happened? Have their lives always been like this? Where did they spend their days days as children? Do they have children of their own? Do they have parents? Siblings?

And while I feel sad for these people, I also have a hard time restraining a feeling of disgust for those who choose the street to relieve themselves of their bladders - and in some cases, their bowels. Yes, their homes are gone. Their belongings are down to a bare minimum... but is that truly an excuse to throw all manners and self-respect out the window? I realize I am a rather sheltered, naive person when it comes to homelessness. I know I've never been in their shoes, and I think I may be safe to say I never will be (knock on wood). But am I wrong to find this habit of uncleanliness - that a grown person would use the street as a bathroom - disgusting beyond belief? 

In the risk of sounding corny, I should answer that question with another: "What would Jesus do?" In that case, I should love them all the same. In fact, it is because of these individuals that I find myself counting my blessings when I walk through the streets of down town SLC these days. Frequent thoughts come to mind such as, "maybe that day at work wasn't so bad. I do have a job."...."Maybe living at my parents house is manageable. I do have parents who love me enough to provide a home for me to live in."...."I think I can survive... I am surrounded by family and friends who are willing to help me."

While on the subject of being corny, a certain primary song comes to mind:
"Jesus said love ev’ryone;
Treat them kindly, too.
When your heart is filled with love,
Others will love you."


While waiting for the trax train after work earlier this week, a man was making his rounds, asking for money. I could tell that he was a bit bashful and ashamed at what he was doing, so I decided to give him a couple bucks. The change I saw in him was remarkable when I handed the money over. He immediately felt the urge to talk to me and, actually, was trying to be funny. Though he was nice enough, I had been absorbed in my book and was a bit more bugged than I should have been. I didn't return much of the talking, and perhaps I should have. Instead of worrying about my life and trying to get back to my precious book (that heaven forbid I put a bookmark in... it will be there when I'm done), I should've been more concerned about him... or for anyone, for that matter. Even if they do appear dirty and are begging for money.

I am not even a sliver of a fraction of the kind of person I want to be one day. But I think if I am a bit less self-involved, a bit more friendly and a lot more willing to put my world down for more than a fraction of a second, I could come close. Even if it means ignoring the unclean habits of others. Heaven knows I have some, too.

6 comments:

grandmabish said...

Thank you for this post Heidi. It snapped me back to reality. In spite of some painful problems, I AM SO BLESSED! A woman in the Walmart parking lot asked me for money a few days ago. I gave her everything I had which was only $3.50. She needed $15.00 to put gas in her car. I have not been able to forget her. You are right, it is not our place to judge. I agree with the cleanliness thing. Makes one wonder where we are all headed.

Carly said...

Heidi, one of the things I love about your posts is that it mirrors so many of my own thoughts. Just the other day, a man came to my window and asked for a few dollars for something to eat. I didn't have any, but I responded that I had none before I had even processed what he was asking. I drove off, ashamed. I wish I were better, and SO hope to be there one day. Let me know when you arrive, and in the mean time, we can grow together.

BakerBloggers-Matt & Jenny said...

It certainly makes you take a long hard look at what you have, doesn't it? I have the same problem up on Temple Square. Do I give? I feel bad for them though and I do wonder what happened to put them there. Great post.

The Lee Adventure said...

Its so funny how someone elses experience can bring you back to prespetive. Your the best!! Also yes we've been able to paint our apartment, Phil was a painter for like 15 years I think, his dad owns a painting company. Cora and Lucky's room is a Kawl color called wild grasses, or something like that. thanks for all your support and love Heidi!

Dubb Days said...

That was really well written< HEiders. I actually thought I was reading the synopsis of the next book on your list when I started. I never knew that happened. Eww.
I agree with your comments though. We always have to remember--are we not all beggars? Especially during these hard times. So many people are heading for the streets that don't "fit the profile". Good post.

Orton Gang said...

Way to go deep Heider. I have given plenty of money to people on the street but plenty I have not. things that make you go HMMM. I do agree they could go find a bathroom somewhere though, however maybe they have been rejected there too. How I wish all of Gods children felt loved and cared for.