7.20.2008

Birthdays

My brother TJ and I started a tradition years ago - It was actually TJ that began the fun on my 18th birthday when I tried entering my room, finding TJ there, telling me to get out. A few minutes later, he carried several armfuls of packages downstairs, all covered in newspaper, where I waited to receive my "gifts."

I tore open the first present, and there was my half-full water bottle from my room. Next, a few CDs. Next, my stereo. Then some shoes - mine, of course, but that one did have a five dollar bill. There were many more that followed, but Needless to say, everyone in the room was in hysterics, including TJ. I can honestly say that was one of my favorite birthdays, solely for that purpose. I'm not sure I had ever laughed so hard in my life - the kind that has you bent over trying to hold your stomach together, where it hurts so bad you feel like it will fall apart.

Since that birthday, the gifts have escalated into who can give a "better" (or worse) gift. I wrapped up his car the following year, and he proceeded to wrap up my room - oh yes, newspaper on the walls, bed, mirror... my room was lost underneath it all. I wrapped his drumset up the following year, and we were running out of things to "give" to each other... until TJ decided to get the D.I. involved. The gift giving has escalated into giving each other crap from the D.I. or random things that nobody wants. While on my mission, I would keep random things I found in the street - including some dirty barbie legs, an old radio and ties that elders would leave for us sisters to clean up when we were doubled into their area. I think it goes without saying that he appreciated that one.

TJ turned 29 this year, and I decided to wrap up something special... and here is a picture of her before he opened it.
So here he is, opening his daughter Daytona!

Happy Birthday, Teej! Love ya!

10 comments:

Robyn Reynolds said...

What a good present!! That is a really cute idea.

Heather said...

You guys are crazy- and I remember that first birthday too- Hilarious!
Good one Heider!
Wish I was there to see it!

Anonymous said...

LOL that's funny!!! I remember when T.J. did that to you the first time:)

Jenny said...

LOL! That's awesome that you guys do that. I think it's hilarious! But honestly Heidi, couldn't you cut holes in the box so the kid could breath? Geez... JK.

Karson and Kami said...

lol that's really funny! :) What a good present!

You should JUST like your mom on this video! In fact, I thought it was her behind the camera taping it from your voice but then I saw her in the video! haha.

Dubb Days said...

I love that Daytona is clapping! I, too, remember laughing so hard it hurt as well--good times, good times! love ya!

mead family said...

That is so funny. What a good present to get. Now if only it were that easy to have a kid. Just brought to you as a present, that would be awesome!! Definitley beats all the pain.

Andrea Harper said...

What a fun tradition you guys have. You sound like you have such a fun family!

Karson and Kami said...

Okay, my comment is supposed to say that you SOUND just like your mom...not sure where the should came from. Karson was probably talking to me while I was typing to you lol.

Laura said...

Ha ha that is awesome, how funny.