7.25.2008

Catching Up

It's been a fun week. I'll start with last saturday, when we had a girls night and saw "Mama Mia." It didn't compare to the play of course, but it was cute, and for the most part I was pleasantly surprised. Except that Pierce Brosnan probably should not sing. Ever. But, I was impressed with Meryl Streep. Her "Winner Takes It All" was fantastic.

For Father's Day, I bought my dad tickets for he and my mom to come with me to see John Mayer at the Usana Amphitheater. It was AWESOME! He is incredible. We were way in the back on the grass, but I don't think there's a better way to see a concert than sitting out on the grass under the stars. We had a great time. 

I couldn't get the greatest pictures, 
but here are the best ones that I did get.


And Colbie Caillet opened for him! Overall, she did really well also.

Dad and Mom

Me and Dad

Me and Mom

All of us

The next night, the Martin family came to visit! The Martins are a wonderful family from my mission in Fresno. Kevin (on the left) entered the MTC on Wednesday, and they were kind enough to come and visit while they were here. 
They are wonderful people who mean so much to me. So many memories...
Kevin, Greg, Debbie and me

They came to my parents' house and had dessert. This is Kevin with his mountain-sized piece of cake (though you can't tell just how big it is in the picture).

Kevin and I weren't ever able to hug on my mission (obviously), and he was set apart when they came to visit. Maybe one day I'll get a hug.

Next.... SURPRISE! While I was on my mission, Chris watched American Idol and fell in love with Kellie Pickler. Though she's not known as the brightest blonde in the world:



Actually, in his words, "She's dumb as rocks, but she's so hot." So a few months ago, my friend Jenny and I decided to surprise Chris and take him to her concert. Let me tell you, he was surprised. We weren't sure it was such a good surprise at first, though. Before the concert, he was talking about how he had had his fill of country concerts (he's been to about two his whole life... one that I know of for sure). Uh.... oops. I was excited to see his reaction, though. I knew
 that he didn't care to see her perform. It was kind of a joke anyway. Our alibi was that we were going to play games at a park with friends after dinner. We pulled into the Sandy
 Amphitheater, and I'm not sure he knew what to think. He was
 waiting to see a name of hear who it was (because by this point he had figured out we were taking him to a concert), and as we were walking up the lawn, they announced her name. He just looked at me and shook his head. It was so funny. We actually all really enjoyed the show, and I was very impressed with her. She's a great performer, and you can tell she loves it. She sounded excellent, too. We did all go to cold stone afterwards, though. My favorite is the Founder's Favorite - sweet cream ice cream with pralines, brownie, caramel and fudge. Mm mm good.

Here's Chris with his program

The great thing about the Sandy Amphitheater is that if you don't have a good seat (again, were all the way in the back), you can move wherever you want to to get a good picture. Here are some of them.

Me and Jen... please excuse how high I look

Bryant and Chris... being dorks

Me and Chris. Thanks honey, for being a good sport and for spending time with me!

Here are some videos from the concerts. They're not the most steady (what can I say? I stink at video taping), but I know that my sisters will enjoy them. Thanks, guys. :)

John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change"

This one was a guy at Kellie Pickler who was certainly into this number she sang. It was too great not to video - or post, for that matter. The woman in the white tank looked at us as we were taping him, and she looked like she was ready for a fight. Luckily she didn't come over. 

This is Kellie Pickler's rendition of "Working 9-5" by Dolly Parton. I thought of you Holly, when she performed this - sorry it's blurry!

Kellie's first hit, "Red High Heels"

Thanks for enjoying our small little life... :)

8 comments:

Jenny said...

What a great post! Your life is just so fun! I'm glad we went but next time lets spend our money on more important talent like SYTYCD people! Thanks again for the fun night. "Until then...I'll be your best friend!"

Carly said...

Thank you for making my life with that post of Kellie Pickler on "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" I lost it. Wow!!

Heather said...

Ah Kelly- what a ditz, but a talented one :)

mead family said...

We went to see Rascal Flatts when they came and Kellie Pickler opened for them. She is a really great performer. I was surprised. She is so funny and down to earth. I love the video of that guy. What did he do when the lady told him you were video taping. I am left in suspense!! Did he stop, did he give you a dirty look??? Hilarious!! Well we have the same taste in icecream, I always get the founders favorite when I go to coldstone!

Dubb Days said...

she really does sound good! So does John Mayer of course! I actually saw her the whole episode of Are you smarter. Every answer was pretty classic!
Thanks for thinking of you. I think of you over random things all the time--especially when Robby is dancing. You would die!

Beesley Family said...

We were there too! I thought she did a great job. Too bad that we didn't run into each other at the concert. It would have been great to see you.

Ali said...

I love that you took Chris to see Kellie. That's hilarious. I enjoy her music, that's for sure.

BakerBloggers-Matt & Jenny said...

How cool is your dad that for his birthday he likes to go to concerts. You are one lucky girl to have such great men in your life. I don't think Matt likes country too much, but getting to watch Pickler bounce around for a couple of hours may convince him...