1.27.2008

Life is Hard

Today Chris and I taught our 9 year old primary class about the Tree of Life and Lehi's vision. Chris used a few belts put together to form a rope, or "The Iron Rod." He blind folded the kids, and they had to first find their way from Birth (one corner in the room) to eternal life (another corner in the room) without the rope. It is a pretty small room with many chairs and 6 kids, so it was rare if any of them got through without bumping into something. As one boy was going through and feeling his way around the room, one girl said, "Life is hard." She recognized right away what the analogy was and she saw how difficult it was.

Life is hard at times. But I do know that the commandments can get us through... and that brings me to another story about primary. Last week, I was teaching about Nephi obtaining the brass plates from Laban. I asked the class what a commandment was, and one boy said, "It's a pinky promise with Heavenly Father!" I loved that - such a simple way to put it. I expounded on that and taught about keeping our part of that promise and the Lord will bless us with His spirit. Later on, I had them color something from the lesson. That same boy, Jake, showed me his drawing. It was a picture of his pinky promise with Heavenly Father.

That was great! Kids put it so simply - we just have to keep our part of the promise! I know that that's true. I know this life can be difficult at times and we all have our trials. But I also know that if we do what is right, and keep our part of the "pinky promise" (which is actually more of a covenant), that we can be blessed with the spirit and we can reach that eternal life. I know that my Savior loves me. So much that he atoned for my sins so that I can live with him again. What a blessing! I also know that the gospel is true with all of my heart. I know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet who was the tool in restoring the church here on the earth today. How grateful I am for the knowledge that I can be with my family forever through the restored priesthood here on the earth. I love my Heavenly Father and I am eternally grateful for all that he has given me.

Have a wonderful day! Love you all.

3 comments:

BakerBloggers-Matt & Jenny said...

Well put, Heidi!

AMEN!

Karson and Kami said...

I loved this post Heidi. Thanks so much for sharing your testimony with us. I also love what the little kid said about the "pinky promise" that's sooo cute!

This just pushes me more into wanting to get back to the church so that Karson and I will be able to be sealed in the temple. I want an eternally family.

Dubb Days said...

That was wonderful to hear. It is amazing what children can teach us!! Thanks for your wonderful testimony. Thanks again for calling us last night about our wonderful prophet. It was shocking but wonderful for him to be with his beloved wife again!!
love you!