4.27.2009

Aussies In America

When I was 12 years old, we were lucky enough to have a foreign exchange student from Australia live with us for a few months. 13 years later, we still keep in touch. She has come out to visit a few times since 1996, and I had the chance to visit her five years ago.

I stayed with her family for a month and drew close to her parents as well. They had never been to America... until this weekend.  They took a two week vacation to the states, and we were fortunate enough to be one of their stops!

This is Ernst and Gisela Krajewski. They are actually Germans who moved to Australia years ago. It's quite fun to hear the German/Australian accent mix!

While I was in Australia, they introduced me to many authentic "aussie" classics, including several foods that I still crave to this day. So, naturally, we did the same. We took them to Park City and they got some Levi jeans at the outlets. We stopped in at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory where they enjoyed, for the first time, a caramel apple and a caramel-covered chocolate-dipped pretzel. They loved them both, using the term "beautiful" to describe everything they ate.

We also stopped by Hot Dog On A Stick for another American classic where they enjoyed a corn dog for the first time. They loved it - especially the cheese dog. Ernst was so excited, he sat and watched how they made them.

Heather gave them some pillows, and they brought some gifts for everyone...

Authentic Australian Uggs. Talk about a good gift!
They are so comfy and so cute.

We love Ernst and Gisela. 
A weekend was not enough, and we hope to see them again soon!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so awesome!! I love to hear accents - and those boots are awesome! (insert jealousy here)

Heather said...

They were just amazing! I am so happy to finally have met them!

Nick & Danielle said...

I was thinking about you yesterday!!! We totally need to go get our pedicures!! How have you been by the way? I miss you too!

Dubb Days said...

Looks like a great visit. It would have been fun to meet them. Someday maybe. I love that they describe food as beautiful, and as I thought about it, some food truly is--ahh..leatherbys....

Keersten said...

How cool! I have to say, we took your advice and went for a hot dog on a stick last Friday. It was great. The girls loved the cheese dogs and cherry lemonade. =D

Jenny said...

They totally look like nice people. Glad to hear that you guys had fun with them. Sorry we interrupted your time with them! I feel bad...but we are very thankful to have you guys as BFF's! Thanks again for watching the kiddos.

Katie M. said...

ooohhh... I heart their names. Ernst and Gisela. Perfect Aussie sounding couple.

And you got uggs out of them. You rat. lucky rat, I mean.


what a nice host and hostess you and Chris were. I'm sure they had a ball.

xoxo