4.28.2009

Sore...

I didn't expect to have aching arms after having said yes to working at the Church's Welfare Square. I had never been there even for a tour before, and I was asked by someone if I could take their place, due to a prior obligation of theirs.

When I signed in I was directed to sit in a room with a group of older men. Being the only girl, they decided to make me the object of their fun. One man started singing "I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch..." and another took the liberty of telling me how he was better than the rest when it came to looks. Too funny.

I stood at the end of an assembly line, moving jars of jam onto an ever-so-slow moving conveyer belt. The quota for the day was 15,000 jars of jam. That's a lot of jam. I calculated moving close to 130 jars in a five minute period of time. Times that by 3 hours... 5,000 jars of jam. Need I say more?

I did come away with a jar of delicious raspberry jam, on top of a newfound  knowledge of how cool the Welfare Program is... and how awesome it is to be a part of. I guess that tops the soreness. It was worth it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

that's so awesome!
it was so nice to help your friend out of that JAM...hardy har

VTS said...

Service is the BEST! And I'd really like to get a hold of that "petunia in an onion patch" song. Sounds totally hilarious!

Andrea said...

If that made you sore, I think you need to work out!:)

Nicole said...

You are amazing! I have always wanted to go there for a day.... I bet its a great feelign to know you are serving and helping so many people.

Dubb Days said...

You shouuld tell grandma about it--one, she is always glad to hear of service, and two she will probably know that song and sing it for you--which is always a joy!

Heidi said...

Yes, I need to work out Andrea... thanks for bringing it up... :)