4.20.2009

Number 15

I think I mentioned that my dad runs marathons... without training. When stating the reason behind such actions, he explains, "I'd rather be sore for 4 days than sore for 12 weeks." Either way you look at it... seriously crazy. He doesn't even have the body type of a runner... but what he does have is enough stamina equal to a bus load of people... or more. Enduring 26.2 miles without preparing for such an event is quite the feat.

I had never been there when he crossed the finish line before this year's Salt Lake Marathon. He had said his best time was 5 hours and 11 minutes (remember - he doesn't train), and we arrived just around 4 hours and 45 minutes. We waited... and waited... and it actually didn't seem like over an hour had gone by when he came running in at 5 hours and 52 minutes.
 

We had been cheering everyone else on... and quite enjoying ourselves. Those that have seen someone finish a marathon know what it's like to see the determination on the faces of those running. The tears in their eyes, the exhaustion that seems to scream from their every movement - it's amazing. It's fun to cheer them on, to commend them in their determination to finish something so incredible as a marathon.

We knew the cut-off time was 6 hours. When 5:45 rolled around, we were getting a bit worried... turned out that it was only the blisters forming on the bottom of his feet around mile 18 that were giving him grief (no biggie, right?). I guess that's what will happen if you run 12 consecutive marathons in the same pair of shoes...

Despite the blisters, he was in good spirits - and looked better than most when coming to the finish line.

Coming in at 5:52

Here he is, still on his feet and happy. I can't say I would be the same if I had just run 26 miles; 8 of those with blisters padding the soles of my shoes.
You rock, dad. I'm proud to call you mine.

5 comments:

Heather said...

You seriously ROCK Papa!

Jenny said...

Way to go!!! I'm super proud of him...like he's my own papa!

mead family said...

Your Dad is amazing! I can't even run a mile without feeling like I am going to die! I can't even fathom running 26 without training. INCREDIBLE!!

Carly said...

Your dad is rad. I think someone needs to buy HIM a pair of running shoes!

Karson and Kami said...

Woot Woot! Go Trace!